Okay, another friend got hacked yesterday – here’s how to build an un-hackable password:
1. Pick a favorite date, like Bastille Day, your dog’s birthday, the moon landing or something. You could also do something like a favorite movie mixed with it’s author’s name.
2. Reverse it, so for example today would be 8102voN82. You could do the film thing like “Clarke1002Arthur”.
3. Pick two letters from the site you’re visiting or app you’re using, best is the leading letters of the first two syllables, so FaceBook would be FB.
4. Pick two numbers and use the Shift key to make them special chars, so 3-4 would be #$
5. String all these together to make your password, so my example here would be Clarke1002ArthurFB#$. Or add them together the other way to make #$FBClarke1002Arthur.
You can re-use this algorithm anywhere, it’ll give you a unique password for any site or app, and you only have to remember the pattern you use to build the password. It should take an average PC about 3 million years to crack it brute-force style.